From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best way to monitor availability of a CouchDB install
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2012 14:05:36 GMT
Hi Martin.

Your plan sounds good, but why not to use special tools such
monitoring tasks? Like monit[1], which could not only tell you that
CouchDB instance is not available by HTTP API, but also does his
process even alive, notify about any problems and restart service if
so.

[1] http://mmonit.com/monit/

--

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Martin Hewitt <martin@thenoi.se> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working up a monitoring system to track our database servers' statuses and I was
just wondering if anyone had any hints or tips of how best to detect a server going down or
becoming unreachable?

> My current plan is to subscribe to the _changes feed for a system database, say _users,
with a heartbeat of a second or so, and mark the server "at risk" if the connection drops,
or the heartbeat doesn't arrive, and mark it as "down" if the _changes connection can't be
re-established or if a second heartbeat in a row is missed.