From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: Data Size
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2012 14:01:24 GMT
On 19 July 2012 21:43, Ajay Pawaskar <APawaskar@genesisinfo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am Using Couch DB with .net Application.
>
> I want to store the Image Data in couchDB.
>
> my current Image Data is nearly 1TB [from another app].
>
> Is it good to go with couch for this amount of data... as I am going to
> add new images from my app as well.
> > I am concern about how much time it will take to Insert/Retrieve
> Image[Attachment].
>

> Thx,
>
> Ajay.

Hi Ajay,

You've asked a pretty general question and not given a lot of details,
so it's hard to give a solid answer.

1. size

There are couches significantly larger than 1TB. The number of docs is
likely a more useful measure. Again there are DBs out there with
hundreds of millions of docs.

2. attachments

CouchDB "does" attachments, and can stream these to/from disk after
retrieving the necessary meta-data from disk. So assuming you are not
disk IO bound
your throughput will likely be limited by your HTTP connection anyway.

3. General:

I'm not familiar with the client libraries for .Net, can anybody else advise?

If you have some more specific figures and use cases in mind, perhaps
somebody can offer a more useful comparison. Things like  numbers &
size of doc, compatibility with JSON,  level of updates to docs,
relations between docs, redundancy & replication needs, working set
constraints, frequencies & types of queries you need all play a part.

A+
Dave