From Martin Hewitt <mar...@thenoi.se>
Subject Re: Best way to monitor availability of a CouchDB install
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2012 14:13:00 GMT
Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the link, Monit looks useful, but this uptime is just a small part of a much larger
clustering/balancing system we're building, which, pingdom-style, uses a number of access
points in different datacentres to monitor a range of components in our entire stack, so we're
really testing reachability instead of simple uptime to come up with a world-wide health score.

Martin

On Sunday, 8 July 2012 at 15:05, Alexander Shorin wrote:

> Hi Martin.
>
> Your plan sounds good, but why not to use special tools such
> monitoring tasks? Like monit[1], which could not only tell you that
> CouchDB instance is not available by HTTP API, but also does his
> process even alive, notify about any problems and restart service if
> so.
>
> [1] http://mmonit.com/monit/
>

> --
> ,,,^..^,,,
>

> On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Martin Hewitt <martin@thenoi.se (mailto:martin@thenoi.se)>
wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm working up a monitoring system to track our database servers' statuses and I
was just wondering if anyone had any hints or tips of how best to detect a server going down
or becoming unreachable?

> > My current plan is to subscribe to the _changes feed for a system database, say
_users, with a heartbeat of a second or so, and mark the server "at risk" if the connection
drops, or the heartbeat doesn't arrive, and mark it as "down" if the _changes connection can't
be re-established or if a second heartbeat in a row is missed.