From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Help needed, Ubuntu 12.04 errors starting couchdb 1.2
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2012 22:20:31 GMT
from our INSTALL.Unix file;

Security Considerations
-----------------------

You should create a special `couchdb` user for CouchDB.

On many Unix-like systems you can run:

    adduser --system \
            --home /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb \
            --no-create-home \
            --shell /bin/bash \
            --group --gecos \
            "CouchDB Administrator" couchdb

On Mac OS X you can use the Workgroup Manager to create users:

  http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/serveradmintools1047.html

You must make sure that:

    * The user has a working POSIX shell

    * The user's home directory is `/usr/local/var/lib/couchdb`

You can test this by:

    * Trying to log in as the `couchdb` user

    * Running `pwd` and checking the present working directory

Change the ownership of the CouchDB directories by running:

    chown -R couchdb:couchdb /usr/local/etc/couchdb
    chown -R couchdb:couchdb /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb
    chown -R couchdb:couchdb /usr/local/var/log/couchdb
    chown -R couchdb:couchdb /usr/local/var/run/couchdb

Change the permission of the CouchDB directories by running:

    chmod 0770 /usr/local/etc/couchdb
    chmod 0770 /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb
    chmod 0770 /usr/local/var/log/couchdb
    chmod 0770 /usr/local/var/run/couchdb