From Lee Burke <>
Subject Re: trouble accessing futon
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:12:07 GMT

That worked great, I've got my firewall backup and cat access couchdb.

Thanks everyone for your help.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Elisiano Petrini" <>
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:27:21 AM
Subject: Re: trouble accessing futon

Hi Lee and Martin,
    despite I agree that there are several utilities/scripts to handle iptables rules, the
fastest way to get protected again is to edit manually the file in /etc/sysconfig/iptables
(used by default on CentOS by the iptables service).

To have a really simple rule which will allow traffic to CouchDB (which I assume will run
on the default port) is to add the following in the INPUT chain (before any -j REJECT).

-A INPUT -p tcp --dport 5984 -j ACCEPT

and restart the iptables service (do something similar for the ipv6 files/service if needed).

This is a really basic rule which will allow you to reach CouchDB from any IP/network/interface.
If you want to restrict access from somewhere specific and you need help, don't hesitate to
write back :)

Cheers, Elisiano

On Jul 10, 2012, at 4:55 PM, Martin Hewitt wrote:

> Lee,
> When you need to restart iptables (sooner the better!) I've found csf (
to be a nice, quick way of configuring it, as you just open the conf file (/etc/csf/csf.conf)
find the TCP_IN line, add the CouchDB port and restart (/etc/init.d/csf restart) and it takes
care of loading and unloading the iptables chains.
> Martin
> Technical Director
> w:
> Sent with Sparrow (
> On Tuesday, 10 July 2012 at 15:44, Lee Burke wrote:
>> Martin,
>> You hit it right on, it was iptables. I didn't realize CentOS had iptables running
by default.
>> For any others with this issue, I ran these commands:
>> service iptables stop
>> service ip6tables stop.
>> Now that I can access futon, I'll start seeing how this software works.
>> Thanks.
>> Lee
Neither will respond, Firefox times out with this message: The connection has timed out. The
server at hostname is taking too long to respond.
response and also curl -X GET http://hostname:5984/_all_dbs and get the "_users" response.
>>> On my PC, I've disabled the firewall, but still no luck.
>>> Any suggestions?
>>> Thanks.
>>> Lee
>> --