From Andreas Kemkes <a5s...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Filtered replication topologies
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2012 00:15:07 GMT
Mathias:

That is excellent advise.  Still learning feature by feature.

Thanks,

Andreas

________________________________
 From: Mathias Leppich <mleppich@muhqu.de>
To: user@couchdb.apache.org; Andreas Kemkes <a5sk4s@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:22 AM
Subject: Re: Filtered replication topologies

Hi Andreas,

If you replicated to R1..n via an intermediate database they will not know the source DB.
But if you KNOW that M's seq N has already made its way via I to the Rs, you can use that
seq N as a start seq parameter for a new replication between M and the Rs.

e.g.
curl -sg -X POST 'http://sourceHost:5984/_replicate' -H 'Content-Type:application/json' -d
'{
"source":"sourceDB",
"target":"http://targetHost:5984/targetDB",
"filter":"filters_erl/no_design",
"continuous":true,
"since_seq":59210797
}'

- mathias

On Jul 12, 2012, at 1:43 , Andreas Kemkes wrote:

> To speed up the process of breaking up one monolithic database into multiples, I used
an intermediate database to get to the end result:

> M   -- pre-filtered replication -->  I  -- 1..n filtered replications -->
R1..n

> Afterwards I tried to set up continuous filtered replications directly between M and
R1..n.  It seems that the replication algorithm runs through the entire file again and does
not take into account the last entry in Rx.

> To make proper use of the existing state of the databases R1..n, does the continuous
replication have the same source (i.e., I instead of M)?