From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: CouchDB 1.2.0 indexing dies silently
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 09:23:42 GMT
On 5 June 2012 11:13, Sami Sierla <sami.sierla@poplatek.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a rather large database (about 90 million documents /200GB) running on CouchDB
(1.0.3) and we're now updating it to version 1.2.0 due to view compaction problems (large
view group compactions never finished).

> At the moment we are rebuilding (JavaScript) views with 1.2.0 but during this we have
stumbled upon to new problem : indexer processes suddenly just disappear. Initially we got
"OS Process Timeout" -errors to log but after adjusting os_process_timeout to 30secs indexing
still prematurely stops but without any log entry.

> Any ideas what might cause this behavior?
>
> CouchDB is running on RHEL 5.8 and is statically linked with SpiderMonkey 1.8.5
>

> Regards,
> Sami Sierla / Poplatek Oy / Finland

Sami,

Have you anything useful in the couch.log file? Are you able to run
the view generation in debug mode (might not be possible due to disk
space constraints  & performance impact).

Also, if you query the view with ?limit=1&descending=true you'll get
the last doc that couch successfully processed (I think). Is there
anything special about that or the subsequent documents? If you
process the view & those docs manually into node or js.exe directly
[1] does that work?

There's quite a few changes in 1.0.3 -> 1.2.0 including better
detection of ill-formed docs amongst others, more info will help
narrow this down.

A+
Dave

[1]: http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Troubleshooting#Map.2BAC8-Reduce_debugging