From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: How to split the data over a period of time.
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 13:27:00 GMT
On 11 June 2012 14:50, Harikrishnan R <harikrishnan@inxsasia.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     My application uses couch-db for storing events. Daily on an average
> my database size increases up-to 4GB.  So If I keep the database for 3-6
> months my disk space
> get reduced.

Presumably this happens by CouchDB compaction? Or do you aggregate
and then make a summary dataset yourself?

> What is the best strategy for
>
>  1) taking the backup of couch-db after a period of time.

This really depends on what you want to be able to restore, and how
frequently you expect to do that.

some options:

backup of couchdb file only

-> able to restore any/all docs from that time, and rebuild views from that.

backup view & db files

-> able to switch back to production-ready state without waiting for view
rebuilds. This works nicely if you have CoW storage (snapshots).

wire up _changes feed to a log file.

-> able to retrieve state of doc changes throughout the time period.

Consider that compaction will remove data from older revisions, keeping
only the revision tree information, to save space.

So if history of documents is important then you need to either track changes
and store them separately, or consider if a simply backup prior to compaction
is enough.

>  2) how to retrieve the data from backup and from the current on demand.

See above, depends on what / how you want to do. You can restore any
couch db file and rename it, the docs will be accessible under the new filename.

>  3) When to index the documents.

Not clear what you mean here?

A+
Dave