From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: database dynamic hot plug (attach / detach)
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2012 19:19:15 GMT
On 20 June 2012 17:59, CDR <cdr.devinov@free.fr> wrote:
> I would like to know if such behavior is possible :
> For the runnning instance of couchdb server, ask to attach a db (from
> another directory, even a usb key). Then detach it.

You could use a soft link to achieve this. Just don't compact the db.
You need to think about where the views will go also.

I'm assuming that you are not planning to do this on a "real"
server environment so the risk of having incorrect on-disk
formats (they change over releases) and screw-ups due to compacting
and view-building are less of a concern.

If its a server I'd avoid the monkeying around. Why is this necessary?

> Also can a view gather data from more than one database.

No, I don't know if the other forks of CouchDB support this tho.

> Elsewhere, the solution is to start a new server on another listening
> port, and then query the two servers. Then merge the view result, that
> is getting complicated.

That's called a JOIN I believe.

A+
Dave