From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: Reader ACLs
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2012 06:42:35 GMT
On 27 June 2012 00:28, Wordit <wordituk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the clarifications so far. Would this simple approach work?
>
> Bob has own db. He is admin and sets readers to "Anna, Fred". Bob creates
> document. Now only He, Anna and Fred can read the document, correct?
>
> Bob edits /_security doc, adding Sara to "readers", so she can read too. In
> other words, Each user owns a db with their docs, and can set the readers
> ACL.
>
> It is an app for writers to critique each other. Copyright plays a role,
> hence the stricter reading privileges. Would this work or am I missing
> something?
>
> Marcus

Yes, the security boundary is the database, not the document.

Some things to bear in mind:

- databases are generally cheap
- views cannot span multiple databases
- if you have a single query that needs multiple DBs, a workaround is
to replicate relevant docs into a central DB and write the view on
that

A+
Dave