From Matthias Eck <matthias....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Documents with 1000 revisions
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 20:49:09 GMT
Hello,

I was trying to edit the documents with 1000 revisions in Futon and
always got an error message about an update conflict (and the edit
never went through).
Now after database compaction, that problem seems to have gone away.

Thanks,
Matthias

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 2:52 AM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
> CouchDB only remembers the last 1000 _rev values by default (even
> after compaction). The reason it remembers past _rev values at all is
> so we can determine common ancestry when merging due to replication.
> The reason we cut off at 1000 is to avoid the unbounded storage
> problem of keeping them all.
>
> None of this stops you updating a document as many times as you like.
> Please show whatever is preventing you from updating, I'm prepared to
> bet that it is not CouchDB itself.
>
> B.
>
> On 1 June 2012 23:25, Dave Cottlehuber <dave@muse.net.nz> wrote:

>>> I'm pretty sure CouchDB doesn't have any limit on the number of revisions of
a document. Perhaps the API/library you're using to access it has a bug that breaks with 4-digit
revision numbers? What API are you using?