From Miles Fidelman <mfidel...@meetinghouse.net>
Subject Re: Best stack for querying spatial locations
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 09:38:51 GMT
Luca Matteis wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a scenario where I'm working with a friend of mine that
> maintains a bunch of spatial data in a MS Access database. I want to
> put this data online, as a web-site, and allow people to query it
> using an interface and a RESTful API. So I thought CouchDB + GeoCouch
> would be perfect for this.
>
> The issue is, how do I upload the MS Access data to my online Couch
> instance? I want the process to be seamless - in the sense that my
> friend will continue making modifications to his MS Access db, and
> then he should "upload" it to the couch using some tool.
>
> Do I need to write extra code to parse the MS Access into JSON and
> then upload that to my couch? Or is there an easier way? Dunno, maybe
> upload it the MS Access as an attachment and parse it with client side
> JavaScript?
>
> Also the MS Access is quite large: ~2gb

I think you've jumped a couple of design steps:
- what kinds of spatial data?
- is one person updating the data, or more?
- does the database live on a single PC, or on a server?
- how frequently is it updated?
- is it preferable for updates to propagate live to the online serve, or
is a periodic dump enough (or preferred)?
- what kinds of queries are going to be made against the data?
- how many queries per unit of time?
- RESTful API implies a liklihood of combining the data with other
data/services - so what kinds of things will people be doing?

When I hear "geospatial stack" I don't generally think MS Access and
CouchDB.  I tend to think more:
- Google Maps & KML, and/or
- GeoServer + PostGIS, and/or
- OpenLayers, and/or
- ESRI ArcGIS (for really serious commercial capabilities)

Depending on the details of the problem at hand (the answers to the
above questions), it could be that:
- MS Access -> <some glue> -> CouchDB/GeoCouch might be a perfectly good
solution

Or, you might think about something more like:
- MS Access -> GeoServer (w/ some RESTful glue) -> CouchDB -> user
facing i/f

Or it might make sense to keep some stuff in a geodatabase, other stuff
in Couch, and mash stuff together in browser-side code.

Your problem statement is way too amorphous at this point.

Miles Fidelman