From Andreas Kemkes <a5s...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Replication and checkpoints - what to expect?
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2012 16:55:19 GMT
How can I ask these questions differently?

It also appears that replication between 1.1.1 and 1.2 just stalls after a while and only
recourse is to cancel it and start it new.  There seems to be no indication of why the stalling
occurs.

What is common practice to monitor the replication process?

________________________________
 From: Andreas Kemkes <a5sk4s@yahoo.com>
To: user@couchdb.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:50 AM
Subject: Re: Replication and checkpoints - what to expect?

Reply to user@couchdb.apache.org

________________________________
From: Andreas Kemkes <a5sk4s@yahoo.com>
To: "user@couchdb.apache.org" <user@couchdb.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:36 PM
Subject: Replication and checkpoints - what to expect?

Upgrading to 1.2 on the target system allowed me to setup an unfiltered continuous replication
between a couchdb 1.1.1 instance and a couchdb 1.2 and then use the latter as the source for
several filtered continuous replications to shard a monolithic couchdb database.

The unfiltered replication was started from the futon replicator api, all the others from
the command line using the ../_replicate call.  All replications are pull.

The all work nicely, except that the replication between couchdb 1.1.1 and couchdb 1.2 seems
to not write any checkpoints after a while:

Checkpointed source sequence 911275, current source sequence 918089, progress 99%

Is this to be expected?  Would an upgrade to couchdb 1.2 on the source system correct the
issue?

I also think that the filtered replications, which don't involve couchdb 1.1.1, only checkpoint
to the latest sequence that involves a document that passes the filter.  Even if new documents
are added at the source and replicated to the target, a new checkpoint is not always written.

Is this a known issue?

How can I further narrow down the issue?

Any documentation on the interplay of replication and checkpoints would helpful as well.  Thanks
for your help.

-- Andreas