From Rory Franklin <r...@chillibean.tv>
Subject CouchDB Lucene boost problem
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2012 11:05:20 GMT
Hi,

We've got a machine with couchdb-lucene 0.9 on it and various machines that use 0.7 and there
seems to be a discrepancy between the two versions.

In one of our indexes we are boosting a particular field so that it comes above others in
search results (we are searching for an ID and linked ID's in other documents, but want the
document that matches the ID directly to return above the linked documents), and the definition
looks like this:

ret.add(doc.entry_human_id, {'field':'sort_entry_human_id', 'type' : 'int', 'boost' : 1.5})

On 0.7 this works absolutely fine, but on 0.9 we are seeing this error:

2012-06-20 10:48:04,251 WARN [lia_development] Exiting due to exception.
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: You cannot set an index-time boost: norms are omitted
for field 'sort_entry_human_id'
        at org.apache.lucene.index.DocInverterPerField.processFields(DocInverterPerField.java:85)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.DocFieldProcessorPerThread.processDocument(DocFieldProcessorPerThread.java:276)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentsWriter.updateDocuments(DocumentsWriter.java:852)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.updateDocuments(IndexWriter.java:2167)
        at com.github.rnewson.couchdb.lucene.DatabaseIndexer.handleResponse(DatabaseIndexer.java:393)
        at com.github.rnewson.couchdb.lucene.DatabaseIndexer.handleResponse(DatabaseIndexer.java:83)
        at org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:735)
        at org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:709)
        at org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:700)
        at com.github.rnewson.couchdb.lucene.DatabaseIndexer.run(DatabaseIndexer.java:473)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

Removing the boost and restarting couchdb-lucene resolves the issue, I'm just curious as to
what the problem may be?

Thanks,
Rory