From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Replication and checkpoints - what to expect?
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2012 17:40:52 GMT

If you're running continuous replication, then the process isn't going to reach 100% (since
that would imply all future changes have been replicated, which is clearly impossible). I
suspect it's just a reporting anomaly. I didn't reply earlier because I hadn't had time to
verify the code but since you bumped the thread, I thought I'd best say something.

B.

On 21 Jun 2012, at 17:50, Andreas Kemkes wrote:

> Reply to user@couchdb.apache.org
>

> ________________________________

between a couchdb 1.1.1 instance and a couchdb 1.2 and then use the latter as the source for
several filtered continuous replications to shard a monolithic couchdb database.

> The unfiltered replication was started from the futon replicator api, all the others
from the command line using the ../_replicate call.  All replications are pull.

> The all work nicely, except that the replication between couchdb 1.1.1 and couchdb 1.2
seems to not write any checkpoints after a while:

> Checkpointed source sequence 911275, current source sequence 918089, progress 99%
>
> Is this to be expected?  Would an upgrade to couchdb 1.2 on the source system correct
the issue?

> I also think that the filtered replications, which don't involve couchdb 1.1.1, only
checkpoint to the latest sequence that involves a document that passes the filter.  Even if
new documents are added at the source and replicated to the target, a new checkpoint is not
always written.

> Is this a known issue?
>
> How can I further narrow down the issue?
>
> Any documentation on the interplay of replication and checkpoints would helpful as well.
 Thanks for your help.