From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: reducing db size
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 20:42:00 GMT

On May 14, 2012, at 1:08 PM, James Marca wrote:

For example, I have detector data with one record per 30 seconds.  If
I combine data into daily docs and save, after compaction the
resulting database is much smaller than if I keep one document per
observation.

Isn’t that just because there are a lot fewer nodes in the b-tree?

The disadvantage of large documents is that they’re expensive to update, and they don’t
play well with sync (if there are multiple writers) as they become very prone to conflicts.

—Jens