From Jens Alfke <>
Subject Re: reducing db size
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 20:42:00 GMT

On May 14, 2012, at 1:08 PM, James Marca wrote:

For example, I have detector data with one record per 30 seconds.  If
I combine data into daily docs and save, after compaction the
resulting database is much smaller than if I keep one document per

Isn’t that just because there are a lot fewer nodes in the b-tree?

The disadvantage of large documents is that they’re expensive to update, and they don’t
play well with sync (if there are multiple writers) as they become very prone to conflicts.