From Jim Klo <jim....@sri.com>
Subject Re: View access during indexing
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 23:51:58 GMT
It should be limited to views within a single design doc.  There's some storage efficiency
I think for placing all your views into a single design doc, but all views in a design doc
get rebuilt when you modify any of the views.

If your views aren't dependent upon each other, and you aren't concerned about disk utilization,
you could create each view in a separate design doc to bypass the rebuild.  Other 'hackery'
that I understand is possible is to push the modified view to a copy of the design doc with
a different _id and begin the index process (query the last document in the view). Then once
the indexing is complete, update the original design doc to match the alternate and CouchDb
should assume using the view that was 'backgrounded'. This will keep all views accessible
until you swap in the changes after the modified view is indexed.

- Jim

Jim Klo
Senior Software Engineer
Center for Software Engineering