From Tim van Oostrom <timvanoost...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Am I doing something fundamentally wrong?
Date Thu, 24 May 2012 15:36:44 GMT
Hi Mike,
I am relatively new to Couchdb so this might be horseshit but.. Since
you know the doc._id you could also do the doc processing on the client
side. This way you would not need any view and can instantly see your
code in action.

Tim

On 5/24/12 3:55 PM, Mike Kimber wrote:
> Robert,
>
> Couchdb Lists work on top of views (and look great by the way), however that brings me
back to my initial post (causes an error on this mailing list for some reason but you can
find a copy here http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-user/201205.mbox/%3CA7D50E04F38FD44D9D914F2ABCA592BF2E6E690685@BE259.mail.lan%3E)
:-). Namely generating a view (well a design document with views in it) on our data set takes
between 6 (simple view) and 16 hours, takes up a lot of disk space for what seems a small
amount of data and burns a CPU at 100% for the full time it runs i.e. no IO contention and
can't use multiple cores/cpus. So again am I doing something fundamentally wrong or is this
just the way Couch works and most people don't have a data set like ours so it does not take
that long to create views or does Big Couch solve the issue (although it would seem 10 big
couch nodes would still take an hour)

> Looks like you work at Cloudant, so hopefully you might be able to provide some answers
based on real world experience?

> Mike

JSON structure in the body:
>> {"keys": ["key1", "key2", ...]}
>
> B.
>
> On 24 May 2012 11:58, Mike Kimber<mkimber@kana.com>  wrote:
>> Looking at Show documentation and running a quick test I don't think this helps as
Show has to be referenced by a doc._id or view key. If these aren't provided it returns null.
This makes sense as its for generation of a html, XML page/doc etc.

>> So I'd have to  get a list of all doc ID's I want and then call the show function
for each and to get a filtered list I need a view.

>> Mike

original post (or the 2nd one) or your response. When I look at my original post in Google
Reader is has "An error occurred while fetching this message, sorry !", so there must be something
in the e-mail that the mailing list system does not like.

functions use the document ID". I do this because I load the data into Luciddb and this allows
me to join between tables. This is not my end game this is just a compromise due to the time
it takes to generate a view and my need to play/discover with the data.

>> I will look at show to see if It helps, however it does not really answer my original
questions and it does not remove the more general issue that view build takes a very long
time, it only uses a single CPU and uses a bucket load of space even with compression on (no
idea why when it has a lot less data than the original)