From Paul Hirst <paul.hi...@sophos.com>
Subject RE: Applying a custom patch when building with build-couchdb
Date Tue, 22 May 2012 08:14:09 GMT
>> I have a custom patch with increases the javascript stack quota (from 20M
>> to 200M). I need this to process some of the ridiculously large documents I
>> have in my database. Without it the view build fails. I've been using it
>> since Couch 0.10. I recently built version 1.2 using build-couchdb for the
>> first time, previously I was rolling my own Ubuntu packages but I figured
>> build-couchdb might be easier.
>>
>> Is there I way I can apply custom patches when using build-couchdb?
>
>1.2.0 already supports this;
>
>Usage: couchjs [FILE]
>
>The couchjs command runs the Apache CouchDB JavaScript interpreter.
>
>The exit status is 0 for success or 1 for failure.

>  -h          display a short help message and exit
>  -V          display version information and exit
>  -H          enable couchjs cURL bindings (only avaiable
>              if package was built with cURL available)
>  -S SIZE     specify that the interpreter should set the
>              stack quota for JS contexts to SIZE bytes
>
>Report bugs at <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB>.

Great. It sounds like I don't need my patch. I have since found the page on the wiki which
documents this feature. It crept into 1.1.1 without me noticing.
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Performance#JavaScript_View_Server

Unfortunately I've now tried using this option and it doesn't help even if I set it to crazy
sizes like 1G. I have isolated the offending document (22M of JSON) and have been running
couchjs manually on it but I get 'out of memory' no matter what I do. I also tried applying
my original patch but that didn't help either (which is good in some sense).

So for the moment I have trimmed down the document and updated it in the database and my views
are building once again. It only seems to be one document out of ~80 million so far and I
guess sometimes life is too short.

>Re custom patches on build-couchdb, simplest approach is to fork, apply
>your patch to a custom branch and then use  something like:
>
> rake git="git://me.github.com/couchdb.git a_fork" install=a_spoon

That sounds like a good solution. I'll do that if I need my own patches in future.

Thanks a lot (and Jason too),
Paul.

Sophos Limited, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 991 2418 08.