From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: standalone couchdb?
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2012 08:09:46 GMT
On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Marcello Nuccio
<marcello.nuccio@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/4/20 Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com>:

>>> Then the answer is "no, you can't use it to build CouchDB", right?
>>

>> I'm not sure what you mean there. but ok.
>
> That's because of my bad english, sorry. I will try to be more clear.
>
> The rcouch's README says:
>
> - "rcouch is a static distribution of couchdb using rebar."
> - "It is an extraction of the refuge code to ease the distribution of couchdb."
>
> That is great, and it's what I was looking for. But then it says:
>
> - "Based on the couchdb code it is tagged from time to time for
> stability purpose. At some point some supported branch may appear."
>
> Does this mean that I can't use it to build a *static* distribution,
> e.g., of couchdb-1.2?
>
> Sorry if this this is a very dumb question...
>
> thanks,
>  Marcello
Ah.

1.3/trunk Apache CouchDB is actually 1.2 with some refactoring. I will
make it more clear on the refuge website. We are compatible with 1.2
and trunk (1.3)/

We are on the other hand somehow different from 1.2/1.3 CouchDB due to
some refactoring and enhancements (supervision, release, logging, ..)
in the codebase + addons (couch_randomdoc, refuge_spatial,  ...). I
want to put these changes in CouchDB but it's not actually clear how
it will happen. Even after the couchdb summit...

Anyway, while we are making a compatible distribution. We don't follow
the release time of CouchDB. Releases will  appear more often in near
future , and binaries will be available in a continuous fashion
sometimes in Mai for different platforms (bsds, linux, mac, win, ..) .
If at any step we will change the supported version of CouchDB we will
announce it.

- benoît
- benoît