From Mark Hahn <m...@hahnca.com>
Subject Re: suggestion for improvement
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 20:57:48 GMT
>  think that managing versions/diff of a document is out of the scope of
couchDB

I don't see how making different versions of a doc available is out of
couch's realm of responsibility.  It's job is to present docs.  Letting us
get to another version isn't rocket science.

It's just a shame that couch says "here's a conflict" and then gives you no
way to find out what the nature of the conflict is. All couch needs to do
is make both versions available.   I'm sure that could be done and would be
appropriate to include.

General doc change feeds could also make the old and new docs available.
 Just give us some way to access any and all docs with one lower rev
number.

*I know how all of this could be easily fixed*

Just give us a query by doc id and rev number (just the rev count at the
beginning of the rev value).  Then on a conflict we could query all
matching revs that conflicted.  On a change feed we could query rev counts
one less.

You can say this doesn't belong in couch.