From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Couchdb 1.2 installed on Centos 5.8 starts with File operation error and Test Suite fails
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 17:07:06 GMT
"Nice"? I have to disagree. Overwriting an existing install with a new
install code is very likely to go wrong. We've added modules, removed
modules, so your overwrite will give you an unknown (and obviously
unsupported) blend of old and new. Don't do this.

I recommend you fix this first by stopping couchdb, uninstalling all
but your databases and configuration files, and then installing 1.2.0
again. Even better would be to use a package which would automate this
but I don't think there's an RPM for 1.2.0 yet.

B.

On 19 April 2012 17:50, Mike Kimber <mkimber@kana.com> wrote:
> The ones that work on these hosted VM's have all been installed over an existing couchdb
1.1.1. "Nice" way of upgrading by the way!
> Couchdb is running as couchdb user on the servers that work and the one that is currently
broken (have left it that way whilst this thread is open)
> I only have sudo access on these servers and I always start couchdb with /sbin/service
couchdb start

> Thanks
>
> Mike

Test Suite fails

> Did you install 1.2.0 over an existing install?
> Is couchdb running as 'couchdb'?
> Did it ever run as 'root' after you fixed ownership and permissions?
>
> B.
>
> On 19 April 2012 16:40, Mike Kimber <mkimber@kana.com> wrote:
>> Yep i've read and applied that and I still get the error when I run the test suite.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mike

however on both systems files under /etc/couchdb are owned by root, but are read accessible
by everyone and from the looks of them don't need to be writable by the couchdb user, unless
that changed in 1.2.0?

>>> If I run ./configure without --with-js-trunk I get:

>>> I got this on 1.1.1 also.
>>>
>>> With regard to Centos ISO, that's one of the issues, I have no issue with Couchdb
1.2 on the Centos 5.8 images I built myself from ISO, but the ones I have an issue with are
on a hosted Virtualisation environment and provided to me so all I can provide is:

>>> [kana@KCEngCI200 apache-couchdb-1.2.0]$ uname -a
>>> Linux KCEngCI200 2.6.18.8-xenU #1 SMP Wed Feb 3 11:28:48 PST 2010 x86_64 x86_64
x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>> [kana@KCEngCI200 apache-couchdb-1.2.0]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
>>> CentOS release 5.8 (Final)
>>> [kana@KCEngCI200 apache-couchdb-1.2.0]$
>>>
>>> I get them as Centos 5.3 images and then have to apply the Centos 5.8 updates
myself (don't ask!).

>>> Mike

I'll

>>> Hi Mike,
>>>
>>> I'd rather we find a way to help you through this, the above approach is sure
>>> to crap out on you in future in some subtle but critical fashion.
>>>
>>> My guess is that your configure is really building against a different
>>> spidermonkey
>>> than what you are actually expecting.
>>>
>>> Can you post the output from below, & resulting config.log somewhere?
>>>
>>>    ./configure --with-erlang=/usr/local/lib/erlang/erts-5.7.5/include
>>>
>>> NB the --with-js-trunk shouldn't be used unless you know what you are doing,
it
>>> bypasses the checks that the js you are building against is actually compatible
>>> with couchdb.
>>>
>>> If you point me to a suitable ISO I'll whip up a centos and take a look also.
>>>
>>> A+
>>> Dave