From Mike Kimber <mkim...@kana.com>
Subject RE: Couchdb 1.2 installed on Centos 5.8 starts with File operation error and Test Suite fails
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:25:07 GMT
>From what I can tell it does look like it might be a permission issue, however doing a
chown does not resolve it. Observations are:

I have to install this server using sudo using a specific account (kana), company policy:

1. If I run ./configure as kana it runs successfully
2. If I run ./configure as sudo it cant find Curl or elc
3. If I run ./configure as kana and then sudo make install it installs
4. I then create couchdb user and grant persimmons etc
5. If I then run coudhdb using sudo /sbin/service couchdb start then I don't get any "File
operation error: eacces. Target: ./couch_db_updater.beam..... errors
6. However if I stop coudhdb and run it using su -u couchdb coudhdb then I get "File operation
error: eacces. Target: ./couch_db_updater.beam. errors
7. Which either way I start couchdb I get exit_status,139 errors when I run the test suite.

What I suspect might be the issue is PATH differences between running as Kana and running
as couchdb or sudo.

I suspect this is because I have de-installed curl and erlang that came with the centos image
and then re-installed them from source, however it looks like they may have put them in a
different spot:

/usr/bin/erlc moved to /usr/local/bin/erlc
/usr/bin/curl moved to /usr/local/bin/erlc
/usr/include/curl to /usr/local/include/curl
etc

So I created symbolic links to /usr/bin, re-ran configure using sudo and it ran through with
out error as did the install.

However When I ran the test suite I still get the exit_status,139 errors as listed  in my
previous e-mail

What makes it even more confusing is http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installing_SpiderMonkey

Which infers that coudhdb 1.1 upwards needs spider monkey 1.8.5, however I have install Couchdb
1.1.1 no problem with 1.7

Is there a minimum set of pre-requisites that are required for Couchdb 1.2 (i.e spidermonkey,
curl, Erlang)

Beginning to get a bit desperate!

Thanks

Mike