From Mike Kimber <mkim...@kana.com>
Subject BigCouch - Replication failing with Cannot Allocate memory
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 08:19:34 GMT
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to raise an issue I am having with replicating a
standalone couchdb 1.1.1 to a 3 node BigCouch cluster? If this is not the correct place please
point me in the right direction if it is then any one have any ideas why I keep getting the
following error message when I kick of a replication;

eheap_alloc: Cannot allocate 1459620480 bytes of memory (of type "heap").

My set-up is:

Standalone couchdb 1.1.1 running on Centos 5.7

3 Node BigCouch cluster running on Centos 5.8 with the following local.ini overrides pulling
from the Standalone couchdb (78K documents)

[httpd]
bind_address = XXX.XX.X.XX

[cluster]
; number of shards for a new database
q = 9
; number of copies of each shard
n = 1

[couchdb]
database_dir = /other/bigcouch/database
view_index_dir = /other/bigcouch/view

The error is always generate on the third node in the cluster and the server basically max's
out on memory before hand. The other nodes seem to be doing very little, but are getting data
i.e. the shard sizes are growing. I've put the copies per shard down to 1 as currently I'm
not interested in resilience.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike