From Miles Fidelman <mfidel...@meetinghouse.net>
Subject Re: Help shape the future of CouchDB: your voice needed!
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:11:37 GMT
Bob Dionne wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I'd be interested in your thoughts on this. Damien presented the UnQL stuff to us, some
time ago before he left the CouchDB project, and I thought then it was overly ambitious.

> I agree that SQL is awesome and hard to get away from after thinking in terms of relations
for years. I'd love to see an alternative to SQL that was a better fit for document stores,
that takes into account that document are sorts of like objects with attributes. There was
considerable work done in this area years ago by folks working in  functional dbs.

Umm.... CQL (Contextual Query Language, formerly known as Common Query
Language).  Developed by the library community for querying metadata.

SRU (Search/Retrieve via URL) embeds CQL in a RESTful API.  Sort of
OpenSearch on steroids.  Some mature implementations floating around.

Working example of a search string:
http://alcme.oclc.org/srw/search/SiteSearchDocumentation?query=dc.title=
pears&version=1.1&maximumRecords=10
<http://alcme.oclc.org/srw/search/SiteSearchDocumentation?query=dc.title=%20pears&version=1.1&maximumRecords=10>

Now an SRU interface to CouchDB would be interesting.

(Amazing how people always want to re-invent things rather than do a
little research.)

Miles Fidelman