From Paul Hirst <paul.hi...@sophos.com>
Subject Making conflicts first class citizens
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:51:27 GMT
I saw this idea on allourideas.org:

"Conflicts as first class citizens: Surface the conflict on read, and always accept a write,
assuming it passes validation."

I was wondering if anyone could expand on this?

On write, conflicts will be rejected at the moment which is really handy from a simplicity
point of view and in many use cases it's a good enough solution. If you use the all_or_nothing:true
option through the bulk API then you can currently write conflicting documents and this is
(as I understand it) exactly what replication does.

So, is this idea, about changing the default behaviour to act as the all_or_nothing option?
Does it get rid of the ability to detect and reject conflicts at write time? Lastly, why does
anyone want it when we seem to have the best of both worlds at the moment?

Sophos Limited, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 991 2418 08.