From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject Re: Size of couchdb documents
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:52:52 GMT
On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Daniel Gonzalez <gonvaled@gonvaled.com> wrote:

>> Hi, Daniel. That's great news! Also, I have an update from a CouchDB 1.2.0
>> test.
>>
>> I have a database here with 10 million documents, most several KB of
>> English text. upgrade to version 1.2 changed the database size from
>> 38GB to is 9.2GB, or now 0.94 KB per document.
>>

> That is interesting. Is CouchDB reducing the size of your stored data?
> Compression? Or is the average size of your input data smaller than 0.94KB?
> (I am not sure what "most several KB" means)

Well, you busted me. I do not know the average size of the documents
offhand, but I suspect it is much greater than 400 bytes, because many
of the documents are a few KB (maybe 1kb-5kb) of text strings.

But, yes, CouchDB 1.2 stores data compressed on the disk. I am using
the Snappy option for the minimal CPU hit.

http://code.google.com/p/snappy/

--
Iris Couch