From Mehdi El Fadil <mehdi.elfa...@mango-is.com>
Subject Re: couchdb space usage issue
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2012 12:27:58 GMT
Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Nils Breunese <N.Breunese@vpro.nl> wrote:

> Do documents get updated? Did you try to run compaction?

There were only inserts, no updates. I had not enough storage to run a
compaction, process hung when disk got full :( I will copy the database to
another machine, where I will have enough space to run a compation, and let
you know the result.

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Dave Cottlehuber <dave@muse.net.nz> wrote:

> 1.2.0 will have support for auto-compaction when released.

Good news :)

> Depending on what _id you choose, adding documents may require
> re-writing internal b~tree nodes. This can increase space which is
> then reclaimed post compaction or replication.
>
> Ideally your ids are ascending to minimise this, mail back a few
> and we'll see.

My Ids were tweet Ids (numbers),  mostly inserted in ascending order (but
not all of them).

Will keep you posted to check whether space has been reclaimed after
compaction.