From Michael Parker <>
Subject Re: Referer header required for POST requests?
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:07:30 GMT
So I put a "" value there, and got the message "Referer header
must match host." Reading up, Host is a required field for HTTP 1.1,
but the bulk insert API with HTTP 1.1 actually works fine without it.

So I mapped to localhost in my hosts file, and for this request:

POST /test_db/10 HTTP/1.1
Connection: keep-alive

I still see the response:

{"error":"bad_request","reason":"Referer header must match host."}

I'm probably misunderstanding how the hosts file works or would help,
or I'm misunderstanding the error reason. Any help would be greatly

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Robert Newson <> wrote:
> I believe it's a security thing, to stop cross-posting.
> On 29 March 2012 21:40, Michael Parker <> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I'm writing a load test tool for CouchDB (coming soon, will be open
>> sourced, will announce it here, yada yada :) and when trying to insert
>> a document with a HTTP request like so:
>> POST /test_db/10 HTTP/1.1
>> Connection: keep-alive
>> I get the reply:
>> {"error":"bad_request","reason":"Referer header required."}
>> Why is the referrer header required? Furthermore, for a standalone
>> tool like this, what's an appropriate value? I couldn't find any
>> mention of this header at
>> I'm using Couch
>> 1.1.1.
>> Thanks,