From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Size of couchdb documents
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2012 15:17:58 GMT
On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 7:09 PM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
> That advice probably dates to when we made a fully random UUID.

That advice based on wiki note:
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_Document_API#POST

...and fully explained in method description:

> If doc has no _id then the server will allocate a random ID and a new document will be
created. Otherwise the doc’s _id will be used to identity the document to create or update.
Trying to update an existing document with an incorrect _rev will raise a ResourceConflict
exception.

> Note that it is generally better to avoid saving documents with no _id and instead generate
document IDs on the client side. This is due to the fact that the underlying HTTP POST method
is not idempotent, and an automatic retry due to a problem somewhere on the networking stack
may cause multiple documents being created in the database.

If docid is specified on client, PUT request is used instead of POST
one. Workaround is already known: use /_uuids server resource for doc
ids source, but implementing this trick on library level is not good
idea due to it force to produce additional requests behind of scene.

--