From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: automatic installation on windows
Date Sun, 25 Mar 2012 17:51:22 GMT
On 21 March 2012 11:02, Zekeriya KOÇ <zekzekus@gmail.com> wrote:
> David,
>
> thanks for this very detailed explanations. I got the general idea and
> going deeper (slowly).
>
> i understand that slim_couch.cmd does the cleaning stuff that described
> at Quirks_on_Windows wiki page. and as i understand it prepares to be
> packaged with a tool like inno. so i take  the files after slim_couch
> execution, add vcredist add service registration and package with some tool
> like inno. right?

Yup. You can re-use the inno config file already in the couchdb source code.
Just remember to repackage off a freshly extracted image so you don't
get any contaminated var/ etc/ run/ files.

The 2 main decisions you need to make are:
- do you need to distribute/include vcredist?
If you control the domain then I'd use a GPO and distribute that separately.
It will ensure future updates are small and easy.

- do you need to distribute a service?

Some things to be aware of;
- there is no inbuilt log control so make sure you manage
var/log/couchdb/couch.log appropriately
- in 1.2.0 there will be auto-compaction to set up yourself, but in
1.1.1 you will need to manage this
yourself.

- if you run as a service, ensure you have auto-restart configured
whether you use erlsrv or call erl.exe directly.

There's nothing stopping you from distributing a preset couchdb,
including config files, for example
a replication set up so that on install and launch it immediately
begins syncing from your master Couch.

> again thanks for all.

np!