From Zachary Zolton <zachary.zol...@gmail.com>
Subject Strategy for reliable _changes feed workers
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 16:23:35 GMT
Hi,

I've enjoyed using _changes for non-critical functionality such as keeping
a user interface up-to-date, but it also seems like a nice paradigm for
background processing as well.

For reliable background processing, my mind is inevitably drawn towards the
following questions:

  * What is the last sequence number processed?
  * Have we already attempted to process this update?
  * How many times have we failed this update failed?

Unfortunately, this all sounds like global state, which makes me feel
un-relaxed.

Now, you could help alleviate this by adding a work queue to your stack,
but it feels like CouchDB could handle this style of processing without it.
Also, someone program would have to then sit between the _changes feed and
my background processors, which seems like a bottleneck.

How are you using the _changes feed for reliable background processing?

Cheers,

Zach