From Matthew Woodward <>
Subject Re: CouchDB, linux & clean shutdowns
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:06:36 GMT
On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Martin Hewitt <> wrote:

> Is this a CouchDB "thing" or is the init.d script shutting down CouchDB in
> a non-clean fashion that's causing a cautionary rebuild when CouchDB comes
> back up?

I believe given the way writes in CouchDB work that shutting it down
gracefully or even doing a kill -9 would have no impact as far as this goes.

Is this always the behavior for you when you do a restart? Is this a single
server or are you doing any replication?

> Obviously, we hope not to have to restart frequently, but the rebuild
> process takes a while on our larger databases, so it's quite a barrier to
> our availability to have these views being recreated from scratch.

If you add stale=ok to your query does anything come up or is it as if the
view doesn't exist at all after you do a restart?

> It may be that I need to upgrade my CouchDB install, but if there's any
> light that can be shed on this without that being necessary, that would be
> good.

What version are you running?
Matthew Woodward / Twitter: @mpwoodward

Please do not send me proprietary file formats such as Word, PowerPoint,
etc. as attachments.