From Robert Newson <>
Subject Re: Why are reads from CouchDB so slow? (1.5MB/s or thereabouts)
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 13:42:38 GMT
I would really like to get rid of the make_blocks thing as I had the
idea to make the compactor stitch attachments back to completely
contiguous on disk, but it's hard to find a replacement that works
there. Paul Davis had some ideas that reduce the frequency we need the
magic block bit significantly, so perhaps that's the first step.

On 23 March 2012 13:35, Volker Mische <> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
> On 03/23/2012 02:28 PM, Robert Newson wrote:
>> I'd be intrigued to know how we could store the raw JSON on disk given
>> the make_blocks behavior but, yes, the reason couchdb isn't giving
>> sendfile() like performance is the json<>erlang conversion at least,
>> and other things like reading btree nodes to find the data (even if
>> they come from cache), etc.
> You are right. It won't be raw JSON, but it can be way closer to that
> (hence less processing needed for sending it out) than it currently is
> the case.
> Cheers,
>  Volker

View raw message