From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Strategy for reliable _changes feed workers
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 21:13:02 GMT

On Mar 5, 2012, at 8:23 AM, Zachary Zolton wrote:

How are you using the _changes feed for reliable background processing?

Well, the _changes feed is a key part of the CouchDB replicator, which uses it exactly as
you’ve described.

 * What is the last sequence number processed?
 * Have we already attempted to process this update?
 * How many times have we failed this update failed?

The replicator stores a “checkpoint” value which is the latest sequence ID that it’s
completely processed. The logic of its full operation is pretty complex (though of course
the source code is available.)

—Jens