From Kimberlad <mkim...@kana.com>
Subject Re: Incremental backups
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 07:49:11 GMT
Robert Newson <robert.newson@...> writes:

> You can copy the .couch file at any time and this will yield a usable
> snapshot of the database.
>
> B.
>
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 1:41 PM, afters <afters.mail@...> wrote:

> >> (please post your reply below the text you're replying to, to
> >> facilitate linear reading)
> >>
> >> No, replication only propagates document revisions that are new in the
> >> source database. You can see in Futon how a database maintains an
> >> "Update Seq", which is an identifier for the full contents of the
> >> database at the time. By only transmitting only the updates after a
> >> seq the target database already has, replication is fairly efficient.
> >>

> > I should have been clearer. I'd like to know if in this method you can
> > recover not only the from the latest state of the db, but also from previous
> > states. If I simply backup a file with rsync once every day, I can recover
> > the state of the db from each of day.
> >

> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Dirkjan

The initial questions subject line said it; incremental backups,
not full backups.

Replicating Couchdb is not a full backup plan as it won't cover
your for data corruption i.e. bug in couchdb, some purges a
load of data and then realizes they have got it wrong etc
just gets replicated.

So I'm none the wiser as to how I scale a Couchdb backup
other than I can possibly use something like rdiff
to do incrementals?

Thanks

Mike