From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject Re: up-to-date couchdb package for ubuntu
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 01:20:20 GMT
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 7:51 AM, Brandon <brandon@tsheets.com> wrote:
> Paul Hirst <paul.hirst@...> writes:
>

>> I have packaged it in the zeelabs PPA for lucid. It's got some of the debian
> patches applied (I think that only
>> applies to init scripts or makes it build properly) and a tiny patch of my own
> which increases the
>> javascript stack size from 20M to 200M. Check the source package to see what
> I've included.
>>
>> I've only used it in a server environment so I don't know what installing it
> might do to desktopcouch stuff.
>>
>> I try to keep it as vanilla as possible.

Horrible?

> and
> building from source is great until it's time to upgrade.

For all its faults, build-couchdb **IS** building from source. Often
people upgrade by building a new release with a different `install=`
directory, so you have side-by-side installs, and you choose which
/path/to/couchdb to run.

Having said that, I agree with your main point that building from
source is no longer a good expenditure of time and energy these days.

--
Iris Couch