From C J <guerillan...@gmail.com>
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 15:48:19 GMT
The view file for my database is growing ten times faster than my database.
View compaction recovers much of this used space, but I'd like to minimize
how often I run view compaction.

Here's some background: I'm attempting to use couchdb as the backend to a
metrics and statistics system for our application. It is VERY similar to
statsd, if you're familiar with that. What this means is that we send a new
document to couch every 10 seconds. We never update existing documents and
never delete documents. The documents can contain anywhere from 20 to 500
datapoints. Each datapoint is emitted seperately in the format:
key: ["datapoint.name",2012,2,9,13,0,0] value <some small number>.

Because we are writing so much data so frequently, I've found that I need
to keep our view warm by querying it on an interval (currently every ten
seconds). Functionally, this solution works great, when we hit the views
for real, they respond quite quickly. The problem is that this view warming
causes the view file to grow very quickly.

Anyone know a way around this? FWIW, my view does have a reduce function
and for the view warming query, I've tried version with reduce=true and
reduce=false.

Thanks in advance,
GN