From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: proxy authentication handler
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2012 07:40:20 GMT
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Michael Ferjancic
<michael.ferjancic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have to admit that i am fairly new to this topic, especially new to erlang. Currently
i am trying to play around with the various authentication handlers - goal is to have a working
"delegated authentication" on facebook, twitter and such.

> 1) as far as i understood the oAuth implementation of couchdb is just the opposite i
need - you can use that to create tokens for couch-users, but not to accept twitter accessTokens/secrets
and map that to a couch user
> 2) i found exactly what i need in datacouch - authentication against twitter with nodejs,
and after that getting the plaintext password from a private couch and use it with _session-API
to create a couch cookie.
> 3) i modified the sample a little bit and used everyauth to handle the delegated authentication.
I map the userinfos i get from facebook etc. against user profiles in a private db, which
also contains the user passwords (unfortunately still in plaintext). Works perfectly, but.....

> Now i am trying to avoid storing the plaintext passwords. I heard about to use proxy_authentification_handler,
but it seems i am too stupid to use it. I made the (as far as i understood) correct entries
in couch_httpd_auth

> couch_httpd_auth        auth_cache_size
> 50
> authentication_db
> _users
> authentication_redirect
> /_utils/session.html
> require_valid_user
> false
> secret
> xxxxxxxxxxxx
> timeout
> 43200
> x_auth_roles
> roles
> x_auth_token
> token
> x_auth_username
> uname
>

> and also in httpd
> httpd   allow_jsonp
> true
> authentication_handlers
> {couch_httpd_auth, proxy_authentification_handler},{couch_httpd_auth, cookie_authentication_handler},
{couch_httpd_auth, default_authentication_handler}
> bind_address
> 127.0.0.1
> default_handler
> {couch_httpd_db, handle_request}
> port
> 5984
> secure_rewrites
> false
> vhost_global_handlers
> _utils, _uuids, _session, _oauth, _users
>
> When i now do a GET on http://localhost:5984/_utils/config.html?uname=user1&roles=user
that seems to doesn't lead to anything...

> Anybody ever got that thing running? Am i missing something? Or is there any chance to
implement a custom authentication handler without coding erlang?

> Thanks for your help
> Michael

The proxy_oauth_header is simply a way to pass the credentials of a
user from your app to couchdb. Tou do that by passing specific headers
to CouchDB and the handler create the userCtx.
 Headers  name can be defined in local.ini. By thefault they are :

(x_auth_token in couch_httpd_auth section). This token is an hmac-sha1
created from secret key  and username. The secret key should be the
same in the client and couchdb node. s  ecret key is the secret key in
couch_httpd_auth section of ini. This token is optional if value of
the proxy_use_secret key in couch_httpd_auth section of ini isn't
true.

Hope it helps.

- benoît