From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incremental backups
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 22:15:45 GMT
I assumed rdiff-backup was the tool in question. Should work nicely
until you compact, which you should be doing frequently on active
databases.

There's definitely a gap for a solid backup tool that works
incrementally even across compactions.

B.

On 29 February 2012 22:02, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2012, at 11:49 PM, Kimberlad wrote:
>
> So I'm none the wiser as to how I scale a Couchdb backup
> other than I can possibly use something like rdiff
> to do incrementals?
>
> I’m not familiar with rdiff, but rsync would be a good approach, maybe combined with
an SCM (e.g. rsync into a git repository and then commit the changes.)

> CouchDB files are pretty delta-friendly because they’re append-only, so most of the
time nothing will change in the file except for new data added at the end. When a database
is compacted the file is completely rewritten, though.