From Nils Breunese <>
Subject RE: Retrieving Multiple Revisions
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2012 09:26:19 GMT
You should not build applications on CouchDB's revision system.
says: "You cannot rely on document revisions for any other purpose than concurrency control.
Due to compaction, revisions may disappear at any time. You cannot use them for a client revision

I suggest looking at other ways to solve your problem, like for instance creating a document
per message with a chatroom and a timestamp property and a view to collect all messages by
chatroom and timestamp.

If you really want to do version control using CouchDB (which I don't believe is what you
should be looking at for a chat application) check out this blog post:

Simple Document Versioning with CouchDB

Van: Jon Morehouse []
Verzonden: vrijdag 3 februari 2012 0:30
Onderwerp: Retrieving Multiple Revisions

        I'm creating a chat application based on revision history for documents. Each new
post is a new revision in my chat room and I am simply querying multiple revisions to update
each post. My question is, how do I work with the individual revisions inside of the returned

Here Is what I'm getting when I print it recursively with PHP, I would like to go in and loop
through each json document to make a nicer output:

--c89953e79622d85ed9037f797611162f Content-Type: application/json {"_id":"ben","_rev":"1-8159fce5e15466f7ebbffce24824ed6a","message":"this
is the first message in this chatroom"} --c89953e79622d85ed9037f797611162f Content-Type: application/json
--c89953e79622d85ed9037f797611162f Content-Type: application/json {"_id":"ben","_rev":"3-6e11c76fa6ac5b38d05c210d1d51d941","username":"Ben","message":"BenMessage"}

Also, for future reference is it good practice to work with revisions like this?

Jon Morehouse
Moeller High School Class of 2009
Pepperdine University 2009-2010
University of Southern California Class of 2013

View raw message