From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Incremental backups
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 22:02:42 GMT

On Feb 28, 2012, at 11:49 PM, Kimberlad wrote:

So I'm none the wiser as to how I scale a Couchdb backup
other than I can possibly use something like rdiff
to do incrementals?

I’m not familiar with rdiff, but rsync would be a good approach, maybe combined with an
SCM (e.g. rsync into a git repository and then commit the changes.)

CouchDB files are pretty delta-friendly because they’re append-only, so most of the time
nothing will change in the file except for new data added at the end. When a database is compacted
the file is completely rewritten, though.

—Jens