From Pete Vander Giessen <pet...@gmail.com>
Subject Occasional corrupt request
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 06:14:54 GMT
Hi All,

We've had a sporadic problem, and I haven't been able to put together
a consistent repro case, so I'm hesitant to file a bug. But I did come
across some old bugs that seemed relevant, and had a couple of
questions.

The problem: we're using couchdbkit to talk to a local couch server.
Every once in a while, a request fails, and it looks like it fails
because we're getting data for a different request in the socket. We
submitted a fix for a potential race condition in couchdbkit's socket
pooling last year, and that made the problem much less frequent, but
we still see it occasionally.

My question: COUCHDB-95 is an old bug, but it seems to describe
something like what we're seeing. SVN r679636 fixed the issue, but I'm
having a little trouble understanding exactly what the fix did. Is it
a workaround for a bug in mochiweb, or a bug in couch itself? Can
anybody walk me through the fix, and let me know whether it might be
relevant to couchdbkit?

Also: is anybody else seeing similar issues? When it occurs,
couchdbkit throws a NoMoreData, InvalidChunkSize, or ParserError
exception (this last when it doesn't realize that the data it has is
corrupted until it closes the connection and tries to parse the JSON).
I've got stopgap code in place to retry a request on these exceptions,
but I'd like to get to the heart of the issue.

Thank you,

~PeteVG

"The problem with Internet quotations is that many are not genuine."
~ Abraham Lincoln