From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: couch attachments versus amazon S3
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2012 17:04:27 GMT
the max_document_size default value is, I hope obviously, very silly
indeed. Any adventurous soul that would like to send in a 4GB json
blob could satisfy my curiosity by reporting how long it takes couchdb
to decode it here. :)

A json document needs to be fully held in memory to be useful, which
is why you might want to insist on a limit. Attachments, because they
are uninterpreted binary, are streamed in and out. There's a structure
that *is* held in memory consisting of the file offsets (and lengths)
of each attachment chunk. At some point, that structure might be
prohibitively large, but there's no inherent limit to attachment size
beyond disk capacity.

B.