From Randall Leeds <>
Subject Re: [ANN] Debian Packaging and PPA for Ubuntu
Date Sat, 14 Jan 2012 22:08:23 GMT
On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 11:22, Robert Newson <> wrote:
> Randall,
> You could consider stealing some of my scripting around pbuilder in
> order to build packages for squeeze, lucid, maverick, natty and
> oneiric for both 32-bit and 64-bit servers in one go. It's also quite
> possible to write a much better script. :)

Thanks. I've actually got sbuild with LVM snapshots set up. So I
should be able to create a chroot snapshot for older distributions.

> B.
> On 14 January 2012 15:04, Tim Kuijsten <> wrote:
>> Very nice, just wanted to install on a new server but I see you don't
>> support the latest LTS. Are you planning to build packages for 10.04?

I think it'd be nice to support the latest LTS always. It doesn't look
too hard. I'll see what I can do once I get more feedback that this
package isn't terrible.
Please, if anyone gets a chance to test the install let me know.

>> Op 13-01-12 21:54, Randall Leeds schreef:
>>> I've uploaded a version of CouchDB 1.1.1 to my personal package archive
>>> [1].
>>> I would appreciate for anyone to take some time to test this.
>>> I plan to provide the same for 1.2 and other future releases.
>>> Relax. Using it is as simple as:
>>> $ apt add-repository ppa:randall-leeds/couchdb
>>> $ apt-get update
>>> $ apt-get install couchdb
>>> I've combined previous packaging efforts from Debian and Ubuntu and
>>> attempted to bring them into harmony[2] on my GitHub account using
>>> git-dpm[3]. I would like to facilitate sharing packaging and keeping
>>> CouchDB up to date on these and other .deb distributions and would
>>> appreciate feedback from the downstream packagers on whether or not
>>> I'm doing it right.
>>> Differences inherited from Debian:
>>>   - Permissions on installed files are slightly more strict, being
>>> entirely unreadable outside the couchdb user/group.
>>> Differences inherited from Ubuntu:
>>>   - couchdb and couchdb-bin are split packages. The former is
>>> architecture neutral.
>>> -Randall
>>> [1] *
>>> [2] and
>>> [3]
>>> * It is my full intention to faithfully produce a packaging of
>>> original release tarballs. The paranoid may check that the original
>>> source matches that of the official release. No changes outside
>>> packaging will ever be included in this archive and I will only ever
>>> upload packages for released versions of CouchDB. In short, help me
>>> make sure this is a great way to keep an up-to-date CouchDB.

View raw message