From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject [ANN] Debian Packaging and PPA for Ubuntu
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:54:30 GMT
I've uploaded a version of CouchDB 1.1.1 to my personal package archive [1].

I would appreciate for anyone to take some time to test this.
I plan to provide the same for 1.2 and other future releases.

Relax. Using it is as simple as:
$ apt add-repository ppa:randall-leeds/couchdb
$ apt-get update
$ apt-get install couchdb

I've combined previous packaging efforts from Debian and Ubuntu and
attempted to bring them into harmony[2] on my GitHub account using
git-dpm[3]. I would like to facilitate sharing packaging and keeping
CouchDB up to date on these and other .deb distributions and would
appreciate feedback from the downstream packagers on whether or not
I'm doing it right.

Differences inherited from Debian:
  - Permissions on installed files are slightly more strict, being
entirely unreadable outside the couchdb user/group.

Differences inherited from Ubuntu:
  - couchdb and couchdb-bin are split packages. The former is
architecture neutral.

-Randall

[1] https://launchpad.net/~randall-leeds/+archive/couchdb *
[2] https://github.com/tilgovi/couchdb/tree/debian and
https://github.com/tilgovi/couchdb/tree/ubuntu
[3] http://git-dpm.alioth.debian.org/

* It is my full intention to faithfully produce a packaging of
original release tarballs. The paranoid may check that the original
source matches that of the official release. No changes outside
packaging will ever be included in this archive and I will only ever
upload packages for released versions of CouchDB. In short, help me
make sure this is a great way to keep an up-to-date CouchDB.