From Alexander Gabriel <a...@barbalex.ch>
Subject how to implement a database for every user
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 16:18:53 GMT
Hi

I have a couchapp hosted on iriscouch (
http://barbalex.iriscouch.com/evab/_design/evab/index.html).
My users should only be able to read their own documents.
Additionally there are public documents that need to be pulled from a
central database (roughly 23 megabytes!).
Additionally some of the user documents should be written to the central
database.

I understand the way to do this is:

   1. User signs up
   2. this generates a doc
   3. external software listens to the _changes feed sees the doc. It
   creates the database, assigns the user as admin, configures continuous
   filtered replication from and to the central database
   4. the user is handed over to this database (couchapp)
   5. I guess I will have to tell the user to wait until all public
   documents have replicated

These are my questions:

   - How can I implement the external software?
   - How can I make sure that it is always running?
   - How can the brand new user database tell when all the public documents
   have been replicated so it can inform the user? It can't do anything anyway
   before the design doc hasn't been replicated. So that would have to be
   replicated first
   - Are there articles/tutorials/examples showing this?

I'm a novice and so far I only have some experience with javascript and
couchdb. Would be great if this could be done using that knowledge. Can the
external software also be a couchapp, maybe integrated into the central
database?

Well, that is plenty asked. If I manage to pull this through I would gladly
add an article to the wiki.

Alex