From Jo-Erlend Schinstad <joerlend.schins...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Modeling a tree in couchdb.
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2012 08:04:14 GMT
Den 02. jan. 2012 08:58, skrev Walter Werner:

> How about if every document get a parent attribute?
>
> root document
> id: 123
> parent: undefined
>
> child document
> id: 768
> parent: 123
>
> child child document
> id: 991
> parent: 768
>

> etc.
>
> You need then a view with the parent as a key. With one request you
> can get all his children (only 1 level) of a document. Then you
> proceed with the children-documents and ask again whether they have
> children. Maybe it will be a performance Issue, if your 'object' has
> too many levels. The advantage is, that you don't have to think about
> how the id's of your documents should look like.

That is almost what I'm currently trying. I Have a topmost_parent
attribute, then a parent attribute and a next_sibling attribute. That
way, I can get all elements with one request. I still have to process on
the client, but I think it should work. The optimal solution would allow
me to get it ordered correctly from the database, but I see no way of
achieving that.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad