From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Added wiki doc of _revs_diff
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 18:13:19 GMT
There appears to be no documentation of the _revs_diff API, which is a key component of the
replication protocol, so I’ve just added a wiki page for it:
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HttpPostRevsDiff

This is based only on one or two archived list posts, a few remarks from Damien, and some
experimentation with ‘curl’. The page would benefit from review by someone who actually
knows how _revs_diff works :) Until then I’ve added a disclaimer saying it’s not authoritative.

One thing I’m unsure of is whether it returns any information except which of the input
revisions are not known. The structure of the output implies that it could use keys other
than “missing” to return something else, maybe revisions in the database but not in the
input?

I’m also assuming that a revision is not classed as “missing” if it previously existed
but was removed in a compaction; otherwise old revisions would keep getting resurrected during
replication.

—Jens