From Marcello Nuccio <>
Subject Re: Database size seems off even after compaction runs.
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2011 11:36:11 GMT
OK, I've added the replies from Robert and Paul to

Then it is right to say that there are informations that can't be
deleted from a database, for example the _id of documents?

Thanks for the clarifications, since this behaviour was totally non
obvious to me.

2011/12/23 Robert Newson <>:
> An update to the wiki would be be very helpful.
> It's worth saying again that compaction does *not* remove "deleted
> documents’ contents". We keep the latest revision of every document
> ever seen, even if that revision has _deleted:true in it. This is so
> that replication can ensure eventual consistency between replicas. Not
> only will all replicas agree on which documents are present and which
> are not, but also the contents of both.
> B.
> On 23 December 2011 08:11, Marcello Nuccio <> wrote:
their revision histories are still there. Those should be pretty small, though, since they’re
just trees of revision IDs.
I don’t know what the behavior of that would be; sounds like it doesn’t actually delete
the document from the database, in which case maybe the last revision data does get left behind.)
>>> Deleted documents specifically allow for a body to be set in the
>>> deleted revision. The intention for this is to have a "who deleted
>>> this" type of meta data for the doc. Some client libraries delete docs
>>> by grabbing the current object blob, adding a '"_deleted": true'
>>> member, and then sending it back which inadvertently (in most cases)
>>> keeps the last doc body around after compaction.
>> Can I write these informations in the wiki?
>> I think it would be very useful in
>> and in
>> Marcello

View raw message